Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Just for that, I'm changing both of the TVs to Dr. 90210

Gym story #398.5

This lady straight up took my treadmill tonight at the gym. It was a little crowded tonight at the ol' B. Works so I didn't get my usual treadmill, but I adjusted and chose one further down the way. One of the greatest things I enjoy at the gym is the cable. So rather than parking myself in front of one of the many tvs featuring C-SPAN or ESPN, I borrow a remote and choose something shallow, like The Real World or Kimora Lee Simmons: Life in the Fab Lane. So I find my treadmill and am immediately faced with the task of "saving" it. Luckily gym math is universal:

Water Bottle+Magazine=Reserved

Universal, or so I thought. I quickly bounce over to the front desk for a remote, and when I come back - there she is. I was gone for literally 10 seconds, tops. She had to see me marking my territory with said water bottle and back issue of Entrepreneur magazine (swiped from the rack). So what was she doing?! She was gettin' her work out on..... on MY treadmill. I saw my magazine tossed on the floor behind her and my water bottle sitting next - wait. That wasn't my water bottle! Mine was still in the little cup holder thingy. Could this lady be any more blatant with her hostile takeover of my treadmill? I think not. I had to reach around her and take it out myself.

Nothing. She did nothing. She didn't even flinch. No apology, no embarrassed expression. She was just running. Running with her short hair, and her Nike shorts and her iPod arm band thing, and her old, but not as old as it should look b/c she works out all of the time b/c she's married to her career and probably doesn't have any friends skin. Bleck!

She can have the treadmill, I'll keep my youth... and my friends... and my manners. Hmph.

2 comments:

Eric said...

That sucks, even in the wild west a man knew that magazine + water bottle = taken.
Almost as bad, but not quite, is the woman at my gym (she might actually be the same one, your description is spot on) that talks loudly to anyone who will listen about how you're "hogging" the machine.

Joel said...

You are too funny! I would have punched that lady right in her balls had she taken my treadmill. I would have done the treadmill trip and landed her squarely on her face. I guess you still had some sunshine left in you for the day...


Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss